[maemo-users] Hanging at NOKIA splash screen

Following-up on my earlier post:  I finally removed and reinserted the
battery enough times that my 770 started holding on long enough for the
Linux flasher to get started.  It flashed
Nokia_770_SE2005_3_2005_51-13.bin smoothly and rebooted.  Then it showed
the "NOKIA" splash screen at middle brightness for about 4s, went to
full brightness for 1s and cut-off, darn it!  After 5-6 more cycles of
flashing and cutting off the same way, a miracle happened and it
booted.  Once up, it survived all the normal sleep-wake and switch
off-power on transitions without problem.  However, starting the "Date
and time" or "Display" applications on the control panel always caused
the control panel to close.

Now to confirm the original cause:  I shut off, pulled the battery and
put in back in, and my 770 wouldn't boot.  12 hours of fiddling later
I've got it flashing, but it simply would not boot until, in
desperation, I tried putting it in R&D mode.  This time, the "Date and
time" and "Display" applications worked normally.  Then I switched off
and tried taking it out of R&D mode (leaving the battery in), and it
wouldn't boot.  I put it back in R&D mode, and it booted.

So I'm convinced my problems are at least partly resulting from bad
hardware, and I'll have to exchange my unit.  The failure mode seems a
little more difficult than the others I've read -- is anyone at Nokia
interested in seeing my unit for failure analysis, or in at least
knowing its ID so it could be pulled from the returns stream?

Best Regards,
Scott