[maemo-users] Formating RSMMC in JFFS2

Nils Faerber wrote:

> In fact JFFS2 could in theory work on an MMC as it accesses the Flash
> thorugh the MTD block device layer.
> It currently does not work because it asks the MTD layer for some
> parameters of the MTD device, like eraseblocksize. I am pretty sure that
> JFFS2 could be tweaked to use defaults if the MTD parameters are missing
> like they of course do on an MMC card. Yet this has not been done yet
> and the only (quite useless) way to have JFFS2 access to an ordinary
> block device is the already mentioned mtd block emulation device (which
> in fact does not much more than "emulating" the mtd parameters).

Well, in fact it can even work because there is ERASE command in MMC
specs and few years ago with one specific MMC card I experienced faster
(~2x) writes if the blocks were pre-erased (or I suppose it was so).
http://handhelds.org/hypermail/ipaq/0210/15592.html
So maybe jffs2 could be modified specifically for MMC cards but it is
lot of work for little/no gain.

Frantisek