[maemo-users] Re: [maemo-developers] [OT] Ars Technica & 770: areas to improve maemo

On 12/13/05, Disconnect <maemo at gotontheinter.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Matthews-Levine did have cause to say:
> > On 12/13/05, Disconnect <maemo at gotontheinter.net> wrote:
> > > On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri did have cause to say:
> > > Mine does, at least for shoutcast.com. I suspect user error (or strange
> > > website configuration).
> >
> > I think asking for "capture" means "capture and store", not just
> > "play".  I can listen to radio streams fine, but can't record them
> > onto the device.
>
> I figured it was in reference to:
> http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nokia770.ars/5
> "While the documentation for the Nokia 770 indicates that clicking on a the
> link to a station in the web browser will make that station available from
> the Internet radio player, that has not been the case for me. I've had to
> access them via the audio player."

Ah - I think I see what's going on.  They thought that selecting a
.pls file should add it to the Home screen internet radio drop-down
control, but instead it opened up via the audio player.  That's the
behaviour I see, and it only takes a couple of clicks to add the
stream from audio player into the favourites, hence making it
available on the Home screen.

To be honest, I think that's the "correct" behaviour.  I don't think
that simply playing a stream should add it to the Home screen
favourites - that would result in the favourites box growing quickly
and becoming unwieldy if one hops streams often.

> As far as 'proper' capture, I don't see why streamripper wouldn't work out
> of the box (ISTR it has a CLI mode) and one of the gtk frontends should port
> fairly easily.  With the small memory card though.... (fwiw I'm gonna come
> down with many of the other reviewers on "why RS-mmc!?!" -- its the only
> device in my colletion that uses it. Out of 2 mmc-using phones, the zaurus,
> etc.. its the only one. :( ..)

Phuket, it's only ?45 for a 1gig card.  I mean to have my 1gig card in
my 770 all the time, so being able to swap it into my phone/camera/mp3
player/computer/cat just isn't that important to me.  YMMV.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Jonathan Matthews-Levine | matthewslevine at gmail.com
    "Shouldn't 'numeric' have a 'b' in it?"