[maemo-users] Battery goes dead with cover on with paused audio playback

On 25 Nov 2005 at 18:50, Ed Okerson wrote:

> If you are going to stop using the device for a long period of time,
> push stop on the audio player.  If playpack is just paused the DSP
> cannot go completely to sleep and it will use more current, draining
> the battery more quickly.  Same thing applies to the video player.

Ed,

thanks for the feedback. I will say that requiring "stop" to be pressed
while in the middle of a long playback seems counter-intuitive. I'm sure
regular (non-programmers) are going to be bitten by this a lot. That's why
I'm reporting it.

When the cover is on, the machine should really go do sleep. Perhaps a
d-bus event should be sent (if not already) that says "hey, we're really
going to sleep for a long time here", and applications that use the DSP
can properly save register state and put it to sleep.

Why doesn't the OS tell the DSP to suspend itself? If it currently does,
but it still draws a lot of power because state has to be retained, then
applications should be redesigned so they do such a shutdown.

I think there is a difference between "idle sleep" and putting the cover on.

--
Brad Clements,                bkc at murkworks.com    (315)268-1000
http://www.murkworks.com