[maemo-users] WPA-RADIUS - are you using it?

On 11/16/05, Patrik Flykt <Patrik.Flykt at nokia.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 10:43 +0000, ext Matthews-Levine wrote:
> > WPA-RADIUS if available and, seeing how we control the radius server,
> > I can't really argue that it's /not/ available.
>
> RADIUS is the back-end authentication protocol spoken between your WLAN
> access point and the RADIUS authentication server. The 770 can
> authenticate to the access point using EAP messages that are then sent
> from the access point to the RADIUS server encapsulated in RADIUS
> messages. Essentially 770 then talks EAP messages between itself and the
> RADIUS authentication server. If I remember correctly, that is.

Sounds correct to me, but what do I know - I just administer the box! :-)
Seriously, it's good to understand what on earth some of the settings
on the radius admin console are actually referring to!  That's an
entire area of the server that our team just leaves alone ...

> 770 supports the following EAP authentication methods:
> - EAP SIM
> - EAP TLS using certificates
> - EAP PEAP using GTC and optional PEAP certificate
> - EAP PEAP using MSCHAPv2 and optional PEAP certificate

The console allows "CHAP", "PAP", and "CHAP or PAP".  I'm going to
assume that that's the last option on your list ...

> If any of these are supported by your RADIUS authentication server, all
> is fine.
>
> > Most importantly, do you get prompted for a username/password
> > *each*time* you associate with the AP?  If the 770 caches credentials,
> You can set 770 to remember your password (GTC and MSCHAPv2) or to ask
> it every time.

That's great.  Can't mention why, but knowing that is really helpful.

Thanks, Patrik - your help is much appreciated!
-- jc