Re: lvm2 deadlock

The SATA disks work ok if you use smartctl to set the SCTERC timeout
as low as possible (smartctl -l scterc,20,20 /dev/${drive} ).  I have
a set of commands that starts high and sets it lower with the idea
that each different manufactuers disk will have a different min value
and I simply want it is as low as I can go.

Desktop/Green disks do not have a settable timeout and timeout at 60+
seconds or more.

Red/NAS/Video/Enterprise/Purple SATA and such typically timeout at
10sec but can be set lower.  SAS timeouts are typically 1sec or lower
on a bad sector.

And I have personally dealt with "enterprise" vendors that when using
SATA leave the timeout at default (10 seconds) rather than lowering it
so that the disks work reasonably when bad sectors are happening.