Re: Any way in LVM to deal with 512e vs 4Kn physical devices?

Hi Phillip,

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 08:13:15PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 01:24:29PM -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
> > No, it wouldn't be a problem without the partition table.  ext4 uses its
> > own block size, which is pretty much always 4k.  It doesn't know or care
> > about the underlying disk logical sector size.
>
> I've found quite a few people having similar problems to me so I'm
> not sure about this, but I haven't had chance to test it yet. I
> will try it out before I explore hdparm.

I've tested ext4 directly on the LV with no partition table now and
you're correct - no issues there! Apologies for doubting you - so
many different vague accounts of issues out there.

So, the actual problem here is something about the MBR partition
table. Off-topic now for this list but I wonder if there is a safe
and reliable way to modify such a partition table after sync to
allow this to work…

Thanks,
Andy