Re: discuss about commit 3b0f9ce: filter-mpath: get wwids from sysfs vpd_pg83

Dne 17. 11. 23 v 22:05 Martin Wilck napsal(a):
On Fri, 2023-11-17 at 16:03 -0500, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 02:16:48PM -0600, David Teigland wrote:
On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 02:57:35PM -0500, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
Yes, the devices file is intended to be a default feature of
lvm since the
commit above.
Could LVM issue a deprecation warning if DEFAULT_USE_DEVICES_FILE
is set
to 0 or system.devices is not set at runtime?
No, deprecated implies we're planning to remove it, which we
probably
never will.
Still, distros need to know that they should make the change.
I think David and Zdenek did not say distros _should_ make the change.
They can, but it requires substantial adaptations and testing.

There is quite 'noticeable' difference in behavior of lvm2 with this change.

So having users without support behind their backs facing the sudden change where lvm2 does no longer sees all devices as it used to is somewhat problematic - we are adding changes and messages to the tool to improve this as we meet the real life situation. Once there will be enough coverage - the change will likely happen.

But as mentioned earlier, there are situation where the original filtering is simply easier to deal with. So both variants will stay in place.

Zdenek