Re: lvcreate hangs forever during snapshot creation when suspending volume

Dne 02. 08. 22 v 5:01 Thomas Deutschmann napsal(a):
Hi,

Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
Now - you suggests you are able to reproduce this issue also on your bare
metal hw - in this case run these 3 commands  before  'lvcreate'

Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
Note: you could always 'experiment' without lvm2 in the picture -
you can ran   'fsfreeze --freeze|--unfreeze'  yourself - to see whether
even
this command is able to finish  ?

fsfreeze caused the same problem :/

I also changed filesystem from xfs to ext4 just in case... same issue.

For testing I stopped the MDRAID and removed one NVMe disk which I
cleared and where I created a new ext4 partition. Running

   $ fsfreeze --freeze /mnt/test

returned within seconds and I was unable do any I/O against /mnt/test
as expected.

I unfreezed the filesystem and started to copy ~50GB to the volume.
After waiting 5 minutes and verifying that /proc/meminfo didn't list
any 'dirty' pages, I re-run the fsfreeze command which caused the
same issue -- system hangs. :/

I will repeat the test with the other NVMe later...

So probably a kernel/driver issue or hardware problem.

Hi

So as guessed earlier - unrelated to lvm2.

You likely need to discover what is wrong with your 'raid' device ?
Was your raid array fully synchronized ?

Do you have only problem with one particular MD 'raid' on your system - or any other 'raid' you attach/create will suffer the same problem ?

Is it 'nvme' related on your system ?

Are the 'individual' nvme devices running fine - just when they are mixed together into a single array you get these 'fsfreeze' troubles ?

Regards

Zdenek