Re: Why is the performance of my lvmthin snapshot so poor

Il 2022-06-16 09:53 Demi Marie Obenour ha scritto:
That seems reasonable. My conclusion is that dm-thin (which is what LVM
uses) is not a good fit for workloads with a lot of small random writes
and frequent snapshots, due to the 64k minimum chunk size.  This also
explains why dm-thin does not allow smaller blocks: not only would it
only support very small thin pools, it would also have massive metadata
write overhead.  Hopefully dm-thin v2 will improve the situation.

I think that, in this case, no free lunch really exists. I tried the following thin provisioning methods, each with its strong & weak points:

lvmthin: probably the more flexible of the mainline kernel options. You pay for r/m/w only when allocating a small block (say 4K) the first time after taking a snapshot. It is fast and well integrated with lvm command line. Con: bad behavior on out-of-space condition

xfs + reflink: a great, simple to use tool when applicable. It has a very small granularity (4K) with no r/m/w. Cons: requires fine tuning for good performance when reflinking big files; IO freezes during metadata copy for reflink; a very small granularity means sequential IO is going to suffer heavily (see here for more details: https://marc.info/?l=linux-xfs&m=157891132109888&w=2)

btrfs: very small granularity (4K) and many integrated features. Cons: bad performance overall, especially when using mechanical HDD

vdo: is provides small granularity (4K) thin provisioning, compression and deduplication. Cons: (still) out-of-tree; requires a powerloss protected writeback cache to maintain good performance; no snapshot capability

zfs: designed for the ground up for pervasive CoW, with many features and ARC/L2ARC. Cons: out-of-tree; using small granularity (4K) means bad overall performance; using big granularity (128K by default) is a necessary compromise for most HDD pools.

For what it is worth, I settled on ZFS when using out-of-tree modules is not an issue and lvmthin otherwise (but I plan to use xfs + reflink more in the future).

Do you have any information to share about dm-thin v2? I heard about it some years ago, but I found no recent info.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico