Re: Need inputs: Performance issues with LVM snapshots

Il 2022-03-07 12:09 Gaikwad, Hemant ha scritto:
Hi,

We have been looking at LVM as an option for long term backup using
the LVM snapshots. After looking at the various forums and also
looking at a few LVM defects, realized that LVM could be a very good
option for short term backup, but might result in performance issues
if the snapshots are retained for a long time. Also read we should
restrict the number of snapshots. We are thinking of keeping it to 3,
but do you think that could also be a performance bottleneck. A few
forum posts also suggest memory issues with using LVM snapshots. Can
you please help with some data on that too. Thanks in advance for
making our decision easier. Thanks

Regards,

Classical, non-thin LVM snapshots are only meant to be short-lived (just enough to take a backup), and the performance penalty you talk about does apply. Thin LVM snapshots, on the other side, command a much lower performance penalty and can be long-lived (ie: think about a rolling snapshot system). So if you need multiple, long-lived snapshots, I strongly suggest you to check lvmthin.
Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico