Re: Discussion: performance issue on event activation mode

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 02:40:25PM +0000, Martin Wilck wrote:
> > I began trying to use RUN several months ago and I think I gave up
> > trying to find a way to pass values from the RUN program back into the
> > udev rule (possibly by writing values to a temp file and then doing
> > IMPORT{file}).
>
> That can't work, because RUN is executed *after* all rules have been
> processed. That's documented in the man page. I don't quite understand
> what you're trying to achieve.

I was just providing some background history after you and Peter both
mentioned the idea of using RUN instead of IMPORT.  That is, I gave up
trying to use RUN many months ago because it wouldn't work, while IMPORT
actually does what we need, to produce the vgname variable inside the
rule.