Re: Discussion: performance issue on event activation mode

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 07:51:08AM +0000, Martin Wilck wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-09-30 at 00:06 +0200, Peter Rajnoha wrote:

> > > I'm not actually sure that it's as bad as all that. We just may
> > > need a
> > > way for multipathd to detect if the coldplug has happened.  I'm
> > > sure if
> > > we say we need it to remove the udev settle, we can get some method
> > > check this. Perhaps there is one already, that I don't know about.
> > > If
> >
> > The coldplug events are synthesized and as such, they all now contain
> > SYNTH_UUID=<UUID> key-value pair with kernel>=4.13:
> >

> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-uevent
> >
> > I've already tried to proposee a patch for systemd/udev that would
> > mark
> > all uevents coming from the trigger (including the one used at boot
> > for
> > coldplug) with an extra key-value pair that we could easily match in
> > rules,
> > but that was not accepted. So right now, we could detect that
> > synthesized uevent happened, though we can't be sure it was the
> > actual
> > udev trigger at boot. For that, we'd need the extra marks. I can give
> > it
> > another try though, maybe if there are more people asking for this
> > functionality, we'll be at better position for this to be accepted.
>
> That would allow us to discern synthetic events, but I'm unsure how
> this what help us. Here, what matters is to figure out when we don't
> expect any more of them to arrive.
>
> I guess it would be possible to compare the list of (interesting)
> devices in sysfs with the list of devices in the udev db. For
> multipathd, we could
>
>  - scan set U of udev devices on startup
>  - scan set S of sysfs devices on startup
>  - listen for uevents for updating both S and U
>  - after each uevent, check if the difference set of S and U is emtpy
>  - if yes, coldplug has finished

For multipathd, we don't even need to care when all the block devices
have been processed.  We only need to care about devices that are
currently multipathed. If multipathd starts up and notices devices that
are in S and not in U, but those devices aren't currently part of a
multipath device, it can ignore them.