Re: " Failed to find physical volume <ZFS block device"

A possibility I just debugged for a non-booting system.

If there is a partition table on the underlying device then that
device is not detected as an LVM1/2 member in at least one version of
udevd, and won't be seen nor turned on automatically by the
systemd-udev code.

lvm vgchange -ay worked to enable it (emergency mode, it was the root
pv--no udevd involvement) and eventually I found the partition table
and removed it and the machine would then boot without needing a
manual intervention.

dd if=/dev/zero of=device bs=512 count=1 was used once we determined
there was a partition signature still left (after partition deletion
with fdisk, still had a header), examined with dd if=/dev/device
bs=512 count=1 | xxd found 4 non-zero bytes in the block.