Re: Discussion: performance issue on event activation mode

Dne 07. 06. 21 v 17:48 Martin Wilck napsal(a):
On So, 2021-06-06 at 14:15 +0800, heming.zhao@xxxxxxxx wrote:
1. During boot phase, lvm2 automatically swithes to direct activation
mode
("event_activation = 0"). After booted, switch back to the event
activation mode.

Booting phase is a speical stage. *During boot*, we could "pretend"
that direct
activation (event_activation=0) is set, and rely on lvm2-activation-
*.service
for PV detection. Once lvm2-activation-net.service has finished, we
could
"switch on" event activation.
I like this idea. Alternatively, we could discuss disabling event
activation only in the "coldplug" phase after switching root (i.e.
between start of systemd-udev-trigger.service and lvm2-
activation.service), because that's the critical time span during which
1000s of events can happen simultaneously.

Hello

In lvm2 we never actually suggested to use 'autoactivation' during the boot - this case doesn't make much sense - as it's already know ahead of time which device ID is needed to be activated. So whoever started to use autoactivation during boot - did it his own distro way.   Fedora  nor RHEL uses this.  On second note  David is currently trying to optimize and rework Dracut's booting as it didn't aged quite well and there are several weak points to be fixed.

Regards

Zdenek