Re: swap on thin-provisioning

IIRC at VMWare vSphere 5 and before, swap could not be located on their type of thin logical volume. Nor could it swap to a linux LVM volume on top of that.
It just couldnt perform well. That later changed.

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020, 6:53 AM Gionatan Danti <g.danti@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Il 2020-11-29 01:18 Chris Murphy ha scritto:
> What about a swapfile (on ext4 or XFS) onr a thin volume? In this
> case, I'd expect fallocate would set the LE to PE mapping, and it
> should work. But does it work for both paging and hibernation files?

If things did not change, fallocate does *not* allocate PE space (ie:
they are not passed down to the underlying thin pool).

Moreover, I expect for a memory-starved machine to page out pool
metadata (right?) so I would not use a thin volume for swap.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico