Re: Unusually long boot times with LVM Snapshots

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 4:45 PM Bryn M. Reeves <bmr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What type of snapshot are you using? LVM2 allows either "classic" CoW snaps,
or the newer thin provisioned snapshots using the dm-thinp target.

Classic snapshots are known to have very poor IO performance when multiple
snapshots of the same volume exist simultaneously (especially for write-
heavy workloads).

Thin provisioned snapshots are not normally activated at boot time unless
they are explicitly requested (via dracut's rd.lvm.lv options) since they
have the skip activation flag set by default.

I tried thin snapshots, but what use are they if I can't use my system all together.

Once my root logical volume was marked read only I could not revert it back to writable, after the snapshot was created.

--
Regards,
Sreyan Chakravarty