Re: Identifying Unused VG

"John Stoffel" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Annamalai> I am new user of LVM.  At home, in a desktop machine, I
> Annamalai> installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and while doing so I opted for
> Annamalai> LVM.  This desktop computer has 2 hard disks.  I want to
> Annamalai> remove 1 hard disk and use it for another computer.  But I
> Annamalai> need to remove the hard disk without loss of data.  The
> Annamalai> problem now is that there are two VG listed, while I think
> Annamalai> it should be only one.  How to identify the unwanted VG?
> Annamalai> Maybe this is because of multiple attempts at installation.
> Annamalai> Any help on this is much appreciated.
>
> Ugh!  How did you do this?  Did you clone one disk on top of another?

I did installation two times.  My first installation attempt failed and
I repeated the process.  I don't remember what exactly failed in the
first attempt. In the two attempts, I guess I might have given different
hard disk for the root file system.  In each attempt, I told Ubuntu to
use both the hard disks with LVM.

Suppose Ubuntu is installed on both the hard disks, then I should be
able to boot Ubuntu from either of them.  But currently I can boot from
only one of them.

> Can you boot off a liveCD and do the same command again please?   Also
> please run the 'blkid' command show that output as well.  And show the
> output of 'cat /proc/partitions' and /proc/mdstat as well.  Are you
> running RAID on this system?  Or did you try to do that?

I don't have a live CD ready with me.  I'll try the other simpler option
(below) first and will come back to this if that didn't work.

> Annamalai> Here are some of the output of the commands in that desktop:
>
> Looking at your 'lsblk' output, I suspect you can remove drive sda,
> the Seagate.  So I'd probably try to shutdown cleanly, then remove
> that drive and boot up again.

I'll try this first and let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

Rgds,
anna

--
mysql> help year data type;
Name: 'YEAR DATA TYPE'

A year in 4-digit format. MySQL displays YEAR values in YYYY format,
but permits assignment of values to YEAR columns using either strings
or numbers. Values display as 1901 to 2155, or 0000.