Re: LVM PV UUID problem

Dne 09. 10. 20 v 15:12 Digimer napsal(a):
Hi all,

   I'm storing LVM information in a postgres database, and wanted to use
the UUID from the PVs / VGs / LVs as the UUIDs in the database. I
noticed when I tried to do this that postgres complained that the UUID
was not valid. I checked with an online UUID validator
(https://www.freecodeformat.com/validate-uuid-guid.php) and it also
reported as invalid.

Example;

====
# pvdisplay | grep UUID
   PV UUID               jLkli2-dEXx-5Y8n-pYlw-nCcy-9dFL-3B6jU3
====

   Is this a known issue?

Hi

At the time of lvm2 devel I believe UUID was just a unique identifier,
later some effort to standardize it came in.

But really you should NOT be using basically internal unique identifiers
in your DB - this are internal to DM/LVM work and might be changed at any time to something else.

User is supposed to use  'vgname' & 'lvname'  - so there you can put those
valid UUID sequences - although human readable strings are always nicer ;)

Zdenek