Re: thin: pool target too small

Dne 21. 09. 20 v 15:47 Duncan Townsend napsal(a):
On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 5:23 AM Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dne 21. 09. 20 v 1:48 Duncan Townsend napsal(a):
Hello!

Ahh, thank you for the reminder. My apologies for not including this
in my original message. I use Void Linux on aarch64-musl:

I had a problem with a runit script that caused my dmeventd to be
killed and restarted every 5 seconds. The script has been fixed, but

Kill dmeventd is always BAD plan.
Either you do not want monitoring (set to 0 in lvm.conf) - or
leave it to it jobs - kill dmeventd in the middle of its work
isn't going to end well...)

Thank you for reinforcing this. My runit script was fighting with
dracut in my initramfs. My runit script saw that there was a dmeventd
not under its control, and so tried to kill the one started by dracut.
I've gone and disabled the runit script and replaced it with a stub
that simply tried to kill the dracut-started dmeventd when it receives
a signal.

Ok - so from looking at the resulting 'mixture' of metadata you
have in your archive and what physically present on PV header are
and now noticing this is some 'not-so-standard' distro - I'm starting to suspect the reason of all these troubles.

Withing 'dracut' you shouldn't be firering dmeventd at all - monitoring
should be enabled  (by vgchange --monitor y) once you switch to your rootfs
so dmenventd is execute from your rootfs!

By letting 'dmeventd' running in your 'dracut world' - it lives in its
own environment and likely its very own locking dir.

That makes it very easy your dmeventd runs in parallel with your other lvm2 commands - and since this way it's completely unprotected
(as file-locking is what it is) - as the resize is  operation for several
seconds it has happened your 'admins' command replaced whatever dmeventd was
doing.

So I think to prevent repeated occurrence of this problem - you'll need
to ensure your system-booting will follow the pattern from distros
like Fedora.

Regards

Zdenek