Re: Looking ahead - tiering with LVM?

Il 2020-09-09 20:47 John Stoffel ha scritto:
This assumes you're tiering whole files, not at the per-block level
though, right?

The tiered approach I developed and maintained in the past, yes. For any LVM-based tiering, we are speaking about block-level tiering (as LVM itself has no "files" concept).

Do you have numbers?  I'm using DM_CACHE on my home NAS server box,
and it *does* seem to help, but only in certain cases.   I've got a
750gb home directory LV with an 80gb lv_cache writethrough cache
setup.  So it's not great on write heavy loads, but it's good in read
heavy ones, such as kernel compiles where it does make a difference.

Numbers for available space for tiering vs cache can vary based on your setup. However, storage tiers generally are at least 5-10X apart from each other (ie: 1 TB SSD for 10 TB HDD). Hence my gut fealing that tiering is not drastically better then lvm cache. But hey - I reserve the right to be totally wrong ;)

So it's not only the caching being per-file or per-block, but how the
actual cache is done?  writeback is faster, but less reliable if you
crash.  Writethrough is slower, but much more reliable.

writeback cache surely is more prone to failure vs writethoug cache. The golden rule is that writeback cache should use a mirrored device (with device-level powerloss protected writeback cache if sync write speed is important).

But this is somewhat ortogonal to the original question: block-level tiering itself increases the chances of data loss (ie: losing the SSD component will ruin the entire filesystem), so you should used mirrored (or parity) device for tiering also.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico