Re: RAID-less parity?

On 7/13/20 4:34 PM, Janne Heß wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm currently testing dm-integrity and its use with LVM.
For RAID 1,5,6 LVM should just be able to recover the RAID when integrity fails (and the block device returns a read error).
However some of my systems are single-disk systems. For those, RAIDs are not possible so I was thinking if LVM has some support for single-PV setups with parity on the same PV.
While this is probably a niche feature right now, I can see other projects like Stratis benefit from the integrity checks provided by dm-integrity (and dm-crypt in the future) to detect (and thanks to parity fix) bit rots.
So is there any way to get a parity setup with the current state of LVM? I was thinking of a RAID-4 with one PV but the current tooling (more specifically lvcreate) doesn't let me do that.

Hi,
on current LVM implementation, the number of stripes can not exceed the number of physical device.

The only possibility I can think of is to partition your disk in multiple regions (ie: 3 partitions), adding them as PV to a new VG and the creating a RAID4/5 type volume.

Anyway, for good recovery chances you *need* physically different devices; otherwise, a catastrophic failure on your single device will eat all your data.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico