Re: It looks wrong for the timeout when lvm test running

Dne 10. 12. 19 v 4:23 Heming Zhao napsal(a):
Hello Zdenek,

Thank you for your feedback.
When I switched to ramdisk backend devices, the time consuming is about 9s.

I raised this topic for there may have a bug in timeout related codes,
not for why the snapshot-merge.sh costs too much time.

The code in below overwrite silent_start when select() successfully return.
```
            if ( select( nfds, &set, NULL, NULL, &wait ) > 0 ) {
                silent_start = end; /* something happened */ <====== this line!
                io.sync( false );
            }
```

Hi

This is intentional - the idea of this 'timeout' is - that during the timeout period there is no progress on output (i.e. for 180s there was nothing printed - which likely means something got locked - there is also secondary limitation
on number of output lines - so if something is doing endless printing loop,
it's also catched before it fill all disk spaces on testing machine... - hopefully this explains 'something happened' comment.

In general we don't have strict 'limit' for test length in time - although if test takes 10 minutes - it's likely not what was intended - but we don't have that rule on individual test time as speed often largely depends on machine performance.

Zdenek