Re: Best way to run LVM over multiple SW RAIDs?

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 12:14 PM Daniel Janzon <daniel.janzon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a server with very high load using four NVMe SSDs and
therefore no HW RAID. Instead I used SW RAID with the mdadm tool.
Using one RAID5 volume does not work well since the driver can only
utilize one CPU core which spikes at 100% and harms performance.
Therefore I created 8 partitions on each disk, and 8 RAID5s across
the four disks.

Now I want to bring them together with LVM. If I do not use a striped
volume I get high performance (in expected magnitude according to disk
specs). But when I use a striped volume, performance drops to a
magnitude below. The reason I am looking for a striped setup is to

The mdadm layer already does the striping.  So doing it again in the LVM
layer completely screws it up.  You want plain JBOD (Just a Bunch
Of Disks).

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx>