Re: bcache now to become io-manager?

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 08:25:23PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:

> [ I saw this and couldn't resist asking for more details ...]
>
> Joe> Also there are big changes to bcache coming, that remove file
> Joe> descriptors from the interface completely.  See the branch
> Joe> 2019-09-05-add-io-manager for more info (bcache has been renamed
> Joe> io_manager).
>
> Can you post the full URL for this, and maybe give us a teaser on what
> to expect?  I run lvache on my home system and I'd love to know how to
> A) improve reporting of how well it works, and B) whether I'm using it
> right, and of course C) if bcache would be a better replacement.
>
> I'm using Linux v5.0.21 (self compiled) on Debian 9.11 with lvcache
> setup.  It's a pair of mirrored 250gb SSDs in front of 4tb of mirrored
> disk.
>
> So anything where I can use my SSDs to cache my data accesses is
> certainly interesting.

Sorry, I think we're getting confused with similarly named things.  There
is a component in LVM source called 'block cache' that we use to scan
devices in parallel (under the hood it uses aio).  That component is being
renamed.  It's nothing to do with the disk caching technology called 'bcache'.

However, Dave Teigland has been adding support to LVM for a new caching
target that emphasises caching writes.  So keep an eye out for that.

- Joe