Re: Filesystem corruption with LVM's pvmove onto a PV with a larger physical block size

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019, Cesare Leonardi wrote:

Today I repeated all the tests and indeed in one case the mount failed: after pvmoving from the 512/4096 disk to the 4096/4096 disk, with the LV ext4 using 1024 block size.
The error happened where you guys expected. And also for me fsck showed no errors.

But doesn't look like a filesystem corruption: if you pvmove back the data, it will become readable again:

THAT is a crucial observation.  It's not an LVM bug, but the filesystem
trying to read 1024 bytes on a 4096 device.  I suspect it could also
happen with an unaligned filesystem on a 4096 device.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx>