Re: Filesystem corruption with LVM's pvmove onto a PV with a larger physical block size

On 25/02/19 16:33, Ingo Franzki wrote:
we just encountered an error when using LVM's pvmove command to move the data from an un-encrypted LVM physical volume onto an encrypted volume.
After the pvmove has completed, the file system on the logical volume that resides on the moved physical volumes is corrupted and all data on this LV is lost.

Hello, your message is interesting. And also this thread:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2019-February/msg00002.html

But I'd like to know if I understood correctly.
Should I care about the physical disk size when I use LVM? Mixing disk with different sector size (512b and 4k) is dangerous?

Your message and others from the other thread, seems to say that LVM doesn't handle correctly that situation and that if I pvmove data between a 512b disk and a 4k disk (or viceversa), it will lead to a massive filesystem corruption. If I understood correctly, the problem that you described looks unrelated to encrypted volume and was only exacerbated by that. Right?

Cesare.