Re: Question about thin-pool/thin LV with stripes

Dne 24. 01. 19 v 16:06 Eric Ren napsal(a):
Hi,

    With single command to create thin-pool, the metadata LV is not created
    with striped
    target. Is this designed on purpose, or just the command doesn't handle
    this case very
    well for now?

    My main concern here is, if the metadata LV use stripped target, can
    thin_check/thin_repair tools work fine?

In our use scenario, we want to use DM thinp for a lot of containers as rootfs. The container use heavy on snapshots,
so above 4K thin/snapshots LVs may share the thin pool concurrently.

This may make the space fragmented. So, another concern is, will using striped thinp make
fragmentation much more worse?

Hi

When 'stripe_size' is the 'right size' - striped device should appear faster,
but telling you what's the best size is some sort of 'black magic'  :)

Basically - strip size should match boundaries of thin-pool chunk sizes.

i.e. for thin-pool with 128K chunksize -  and 2 disks -
I'd assume best result you should get with 64K stripesize (so 2 disks will make it 128K stripe) - but it depends on number of hw aspects.

So you will need to benchmark it.

Zdenek