Re: Question about thin-pool/thin LV with stripes

Dne 24. 01. 19 v 15:54 Eric Ren napsal(a):
Hi,

    As you can see, only "mythinpool_tdata" LV has 2 stripes. Is that OK?
    If I want to benefit performance from stripes, will it works for me? Or,
    should I create dataLV, metadata LV, thinpool and thin LV using
    step-by-step way
    and specify "--stripes 2" in every steps?

With single command to create thin-pool, the metadata LV is not created with striped target. Is this designed on purpose, or just the command doesn't handle this case very
well for now?

Hi

Yes this on purpose currently.

When you create 'thin-pool' - you are mostly specifying options for 'DATA' volume. The allocation of metadata is using 'internals' to pick the place
and other properties -  we can maybe introduce some policy option
to make metadata raid1 or striped or something like that.

ATM it's not so easy to do the best possible allocation - so
for skilled admin - it's always most 'secure' to build pool
from bricks - data LV + meta LV.

The automatic allocation will get enhanced over the time - but it's
always somewhere 'fuzzy' what is going to be the results.

Basically - what is 'unspecified' on command line and left for lvm2 to figure out - may change between releases - if we consider there is better solution.

Zdenek