Re: Snapshot behavior on classic LVM vs ThinLVM

Dne 1.3.2018 v 13:48 Gionatan Danti napsal(a):

On 01/03/2018 12:23, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
In general - for extX  it's remount read-only upon error - which works for journaled metadata - if you want same protection for 'data' you need to switch to rather expensive data journaling mode.

For XFS there is now similar logic where write error on journal stops filesystem usage - look far some older message (even here in this list) it's been mentioned already few times I guess...

There is quite 'detailed' config for XFS - just not all settings
are probably tuned in the best way for provisioning.

See:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/storage_administration_guide/xfs-error-behavior

Unfreezed filesystem is simply not usable...

I was speaking about unfreezed thin metadata snapshot - ie: reserve_metadata_snap *without* a corresponding release_metadata_snap. Will that cause problems?

metadata snapshot 'just consumes' thin-pool metadata space,
at any time there can be only 1 snapshot - so before next usage
you have to drop the existing one.

So IMHO it should have no other effects unless you hit some bugs...

I think VDO is a fruit of Permabit acquisition, right? As it implements it's own thin provisioning, will thinlvm migrate to VDO or it will continue to use the current dmtarget?

thin-pool  target is having different goals then VDO
so both targets will likely live together.

Possibly thin-pool might be tested for using VDO data volume if it makes any sense...

Regards

Zdenek