Re: raid10 to raid what? - convert

On 17/10/17 21:57, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
You still haven't said what you are trying to accomplish.  I wouldn't have bothered responding to such a vague question until you provided some tantalizing clues.  Until your lastest clues, I would have advised using rsync or dd to copy your data to a new volume.  But now it sounds like you ran out of budget for another disk, or need to minimize down
time, and want to reconfigure in place.

gee, with this much enthusiasm I can imagine you solve many problems, however I can also imagine at the same time you create also problems that do not exists.
but honestly & truthfully appreciate this enthusiasm & help.

First off, raid10 is a linux specialty (I didn't know LVM supported it, thanks!), and is not the same as raid1+0 (raid1 on top of raid0). However, your previous clue tells us that probably you have at least 4 disks in your raid10.  So you should be able to remove 2 legs from the raid10, and still have the equivalent of a raid0.  But this is not certain as raid10 works perfectly well with 2 or 3 disks, including the redundancy.  In any case, you can remove at least 1 leg from your
raid10.  Be sure to backup first in any case.

Now that you've cut the disk used in half (and your data is precariously dependent on the health of *both* underlying physical disks), what did you want to do next?  Maybe you just want to create a different kind of
raid with the released space and do that rsync or dd?

I'm still looking for an answer - if it's possible then how to split raid10 into two raid0 LVs(with perhaps having data intact?) I've been fiddling with --splitmirrors but either I got it wrong or I didn't and command just fails. More than contemplating theories and general knowledge on raid I'd prise a lot succinct, concrete info, actuall experience of "howto".

But I shall now try my fiddling virtualized way, problem at hand I had, I had to solve different way completely.