Re: Restoring snapshot gone bad

Dne 22.9.2017 v 08:03 Mauricio Tavares napsal(a):
I have a lv, vmzone/desktop that I use as drive for a kvm guest;
nothing special here. I wanted to restore its snapshot so like I have
done many times before I shut guest down and then

lvconvert --merge vmzone/desktop_snap_20170921
   Logical volume vmzone/desktop is used by another device.
   Can't merge over open origin volume.
   Merging of snapshot vmzone/desktop_snap_20170921 will occur on next activation
  of vmzone/desktop.

What is it really trying to tell me? How to find out which other
device is using it?

Hi

When you want merge a snapshot - origin must be an unused volume (so not opened/mounted anywhere).

Merging process 'copies/restores' modified blocks in your origin volume - thus i.e. filesystem would not be able to handle 'changes' happening underneath its hands..

So if there are not condition which let you start snapshot merge, the operation is delayed - likely your 'next' activation of your origin volume in which case it's pretty sure there is no user so the merge can be started
(or you can 'lvchange --refresh')

lvdisplay tells me that

lvdisplay /dev/vmzone/desktop
   --- Logical volume ---
   LV Path                /dev/vmzone/desktop
   LV Name                desktop
   VG Name                vmzone
   LV UUID                3hcB1L-rIRf-PHZQ-I55F-ZXhT-SnSZ-vThO8U
   LV Write Access        read/write
   LV Creation host, time duocismj01e9se, 2017-06-29 15:07:12 -0400
   LV snapshot status     source of
                          desktop_snap_20170921 [active]
   LV Status              available
   # open                 2

^^^^
here you can see 'non-zero' open count

   LV Size                100.00 GiB
   Current LE             25600
   Segments               1
   Allocation             inherit
   Read ahead sectors     auto
   - currently set to     256
   Block device           252:6

When I do plain old lvs (or lvs -a -o +devices), the attribute entry
for the desktop looks like

   desktop    vmzone    Owi-aos--- 100.00g

According to https://linux.die.net/man/8/lvs the "O" in Owi-aos--- means it
is merging a snapshot. But, what is its status? Based on how long it
has been that way, I think it is hung but I do not know what is
causing this hangup.

Nothing is hanging - it's just postponed for next opportunity...
Progress of merging can be checked easily with command  'lvs'.
Note: while the merging is in progress - you can already use 'merged origin'
so i.e. if you merge snapshot of you 'root' volume - on reboot and next activation you can already use 'merged' result while actually copying is processed in the background and you can check its progress percentage.

Regards

Zdenek