Re: Restoring snapshot gone bad

Mauricio Tavares schreef op 22-09-2017 8:03:
I have a lv, vmzone/desktop that I use as drive for a kvm guest;
nothing special here. I wanted to restore its snapshot so like I have
done many times before I shut guest down and then

lvconvert --merge vmzone/desktop_snap_20170921
  Logical volume vmzone/desktop is used by another device.
  Can't merge over open origin volume.
Merging of snapshot vmzone/desktop_snap_20170921 will occur on next activation
 of vmzone/desktop.

What is it really trying to tell me? How to find out which other
device is using it?

Other people will have better answers but I think it will be hard to see unless it is used by the device mapper for some target.

I hope there is a better answer.

But obviously the "o" means open volume (ie. mounted or something else) and that means that if you can't find a way to close it next time you boot the machine it will get merged?

I hope there is a good way to get your usage information (apart from something like "lsof").

Regards.