Re: Snapshot behavior on classic LVM vs ThinLVM

Dne 26.4.2017 v 10:10 Gionatan Danti napsal(a):

I'm not sure this is sufficient. In my testing, ext4 will *not* remount-ro on any error, rather only on erroneous metadata updates. For example, on a thinpool with "--errorwhenfull y", trying to overcommit data with a simple "dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/thinvol bs=1M count=1024 oflag=sync" will cause I/O errors (as shown by dmesg), but the filesystem is *not* immediately remounted read-only. Rather, after some time, a failed journal update will remount it read-only.

You need to use 'direct' write more - otherwise you are just witnessing issues related with 'page-cache' flushing.

Every update of file means update of journal - so you surely can lose some data in-flight - but every good software needs to the flush before doing next transaction - so with correctly working transaction software no data could be lost.

XFS should behave similarly, with the exception that it will shutdown the entire filesystem (ie: not even reads are allowed) when metadata errors are detected (see note n.1).

Yep - XFS is slightly different - but it gets improved, however some new features are not enabled by default and user needs to enabled them.

Regards

Zdenek