Re: LVM disk power management

Dne 8.2.2015 v 19:59 Drew... napsal(a):
Hi,
I have 3 physical disks forming one volume group, with one logical volume.
If i try to issue a standby command to the logical volume i get the following
error..

|sudo hdparm -y /dev/mapper/VG0-LVstorage

/dev/mapper/VG0-LVstorage:

  issuing standby command

  HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(standby) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device|

But if i issue a standby command to the individual disks in the volume group..

|sudo hdparm -y /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1

/dev/sda1:

  issuing standby command

/dev/sdb1:

  issuing standby command

/dev/sdc1:

  issuing standby command|

This works fine!
Is addressing individual disks the normal way to to spin down disks in a lvm
volume group or will this cause file corruption.
And if not, is there a safe way to achieve this or is it just not possible to
spin down disks in a lvm.
I would be grateful of any advice you could offer. I have spent some time
searching around for some information on this & i can not find any documented
on this anywhere.
Thanks,

Yes - you need to 'hdparm' control  'real' devices/PVs.
There is no point to try to control logical volumes.
Imagine you could have 1000LVs on a single PV.

Regards

Zdenek