Re: Snapshots and disk re-use

On 24/02/11 00:37, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

On 24/02/11 00:32, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

So I'm guessing then, that when a snapshot is created for an origin, then
there are 2 physical copies of the data on disk? (Albeit only one is
accessible at the regular filesystem level)
NO, NO, NO.  There is still only *one* physical copy of the data
after creating a snapshot.  You have simply created a "branch point"
which can now diverge as each branch is written to.

Then why was it suggested that I should zero my new customer LVs upon creation? Please remember that my snapshots will not be written to

However the origin will be written to as it will be in use...