Re: Snapshots and disk re-use

On 23/02/11 23:25, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

Give that I currently follow the current procedure for removing and adding
customers:

To remove customer: zero out customer LV, then remove LV
To add customer: create a new LV

And I want to run backups of a customer's LV using snapshots I just:
create a snapshot of the customer LV, then use rsync, then remove the
snapshot. Is there anything I should do to prevent cross-customer data
leakage?
You are still ambiguous.  If by "create a new LV", you mean a new LV
that is not an LVM snapshot, then just zero it out when you create it
(rather than when you delete it).
This is exactly what I mean. However I was hoping to avoid zeroing an LV on creation due to the long amount of time it takes to perform such a task (about 40 mins). It takes so long as I have to select a small enough block size so that disk bandwidth is still available to the other customers using their VPSes.

This is why I'm trying to understand where data is stored while a snapshot is created for an origin. All my snapshots will be read only.

So I'm guessing then, that when a snapshot is created for an origin, then there are 2 physical copies of the data on disk? (Albeit only one is accessible at the regular filesystem level)

IDEA - it seems that the device mapper could logically zero an LV by
simply returning blocks of zero on reads until the corresponding block
it written.  Yeah, would require overhead to track which blocks have
been written.  That overhead could be 1 bit for each of fairly large blocks,
and be fairly small, fit into ram easily, and be stored in a logically
zeroed block and discarded when the last block is written.  So effectively
it only requires storing a pointer in meta-data to the current block where
the bitmap is stored.  I can see that compared to the simplicity of
simply writing zeroes on allocation, it might not be worth it.

This sounds like a really good idea. Would be very useful in a multi-tenant environment. However it should be an option feature.