Re: Moving a lv between hosts

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 05:54:23PM +1200, Simon wrote:
Hi Luca,

Please, keep the thread on the mailing list
(to everybody else, sorry for the full quote)

Thanks for the responce... a quick question (see below):

On 8/9/06, Luca Berra <bluca@comedia.it> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 03:54:01PM +1200, Simon wrote:
>Hi There,
>
>Is there an easy way/process to move a logical volume between hosts?
>(Apart from coping the data within the mounted volume).
>
>In reading thru.. vgexport and vgimport are for the volume group
>itself. But i would like a away to just move a lv within vg.

if the lv is the only thing sitting onto a set of pv
you can just:
lvchange -a n on the old host
move the disks
avtivate the vg with the --partial option on the new host

then run vgreduce --removemissing on both machines.

On server1 and server2 we have a hdc1 which is a Linux LVM, i have
created a vg called "testvg", and then a number of lvs "testlv1" to
"testlv5" on server1  and now want to move "testlv3" (for example)
over to server2.

then you have two different disks one in each server.

in this case you have to create a suitable vg and lv on server2
either copy the data from a mounted filesystem
or you dd the whole lv.

(Sorry, a bit new to this and might not have the terms down yet)...

If i to a "vchange -a n /dev/testvg/testlv3", which makes it now
unavailable within the vg... when you say "move the disk" do you mean
pysically move the disk?

ignore my previous mail, it does not apply to your case.

Again, sorry - i didnt explain myself enough in the first place.

Apprciate any help here!

Simon

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it