Re: Error in "lvcreate" in LVM2

natasha patil wrote:

then  created volume group  using                         :         vgcreate
    /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.

I'm not familiar with Mandrake at all, but it looks like the device-mapper is neither compiled into your kernel or loaded as a module. Try "modprobe dm-mod", which should load the module if it exists on your system.

(I'd expect it to be built as a module on most distros' stock kernels -- if you've built your own kernel then you need to make sure that you have included the device mapper either in the main kernel or as a module -- the option is under "Device drivers" -> "Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)" -> "Device mapper support".)

Hope this helps,

Zak.