Re: problem with 2.6.15-rc5

Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
I'm seeing almost immediate, perfectly repeatable hard lockups in
2.6.15-rc5 and 2.6.15-rc5-mm3, when using sata_mv, RAID, and LVM together.

Everything works fine (nice & fast & reliable) when I do LVM of raw SATA
disks, and RAID of SATA disks works, but when I put it all together (4
disks into a RAID-5 or RAID-6, and use the array as a PV), it crashes
within seconds.  Nothing on the console, no Caps Lock, no magic sysrq,
no network ping.

This is on a Dell Poweredge 700 with a Marvell 6081 PCI-X controller
and 4 Seagate Barracuda disks.

Software is Debian Etch, gcc is 4.0.3 20051201 (prerelease Debian
4.0.2-5).  mdadm 1.12.0, LVM 2.02.01, libdevicemapper 1.02.02, and
dm-driver 4.5.0.

Any advice is appreciated...  My kernel config is attached.

FWIW, I have a setup similar to yours with Intel ich5 and sata promise, software raid5 PVs and root partitions on LVs. During the install of etch I had to go to terminal 2 during the partitioning process to get the raid devices started and then do lvm vgscan, etc, so the partitioner properly saw the LVs. Even so, a recent netinst of etch failed using this method and borked one of my arrays. An earlier etch CD install worked ok with the fiddling done in TTY2. I have seen the same characteristics when installing other distros (Fedora 5, XOSLinuxPC (really hard to do), Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora 4, Mandriva) not starting the raid sets and then not being able to initialize the LVs and have had to use the TTY2 approach. A notable exception was SuSE which did it right from the start. Gentoo is really hard to do, I had to hack the initrd to get the raid nodes made and run vgscan, vgchange, etc. Good luck!!

--
Regards,

Old Fart