Re: Recovery of data in LVM from a corrupt disk

--On December 20, 2005 2:03:01 PM -0800 mymail mymail <internetbizmail@yahoo.com> wrote:

I have a FC3 system with two disks. The first (/dev/hda) is a new disk on
which I have a rebuilt system which has a new LVM installed. The other
disk (/dev/hdc) is the system disk that failed. As I couldn't get hdc to
boot, my intention is to access hdc by mounting it on the hda system to
copy data around, or try other ways to recover what's on there. However
whenever I try

   # mount /dev/hdc2 /mnt
   FAT: invalid media value (0x8e)
   mount: you must specify the filesystem type

I get filesystem not found errors. The filesystem type according to fdisk
is 8e (LVM), but can I get at the data that's on there and then copy that?

Any hints on how to recover this would be appreciated. I can find loads
of info on LVM a! nd how it works, which is great when you have a working
system, but not so good when it's corrupt!

Any help on how to do backups and the best procedure to follow in the
event of another disaster will also be useful -- there is nothing in the
FAQs, etc I've seen on this.

LVM is not a filesystem, it's a block device layer. If you're running/using LVM on the existing system it's vgscan and vgchange on startup should have activated all the old LVs/VGs and mapped them to /dev/VGNAME/LVNAME -- those are the devices you mount.