Re: LVM onFly features

--On December 10, 2005 3:44:00 PM -0700 Michael Loftis <mloftis@wgops.com> wrote:

--On December 10, 2005 11:31:40 PM +0100 Marc-Jano Knopp
<pub_ml_lvm@marc-jano.de> wrote:

I thought the tails would be used to save the file blocks with less than
$BLOCKSIZE? So, if ReiserFS lost the tails, it would be a very lucky
coincidence, if none of the files were damaged. Or am I misguided again?
:-}

Any tail can be packed if it doesn't match the block size.  In our case
the corruption evidenced itself as files with the first part being ok,
and the last part being all NULLs (0x0) up to the 'normal' file size.

I really should say *mostly* because yes, files that were entirely shorter than the blocksize were essentially gone (full of NULLs).

Our mail server makes the best use of reiserfs because of the huge number of files and the amount of files that end up packed.