Re: Re: Software RAID 5 Resizing and LVM

Thanks Jon,

What I was trying to achieve was a a single, really big raid drive that
I could _easily_ expand later on down the track.  It only needs to have
the single filesystem on it (i'm going to use reiserfs) which has to be
resizable (using resize_reiserfs).

So yeah, I ended figuring out what i actally needed to do in the end,
after playing with LVM, which incidently was a bit of fun :)  I've found
an application for it for my other file server. As they say, all's well
that ends well :)

Adam
--- Begin Message ---
I asked pretty much that exact question on Monday! :)  The only difference
was that mine is a hardware RAID.  Someone replied with a possible
workaround if you're using LVM2, but if you're using LVM1 like me, and you
pvcreate'd your PV across the entire disk like me, then you're screwed like
me. :(

If you partitioned the logical disk and pvcreate'd a partition, then you
should be able to create a new partition on the newly-available space, then
pvcreate a second PV and add it into the VG.  The wonders of 20/20
hindsight.

Cheers,

Jon Etkins
IT Administration & Support
Austin Logistics, Inc
ph:  (512) 651-5641
fax: (512) 329-5625

linux-lvm-bounces@redhat.com wrote on 11/16/2004 05:29:54 PM:

> I've been playing around with adding disks to a software RAID 5 array,
and it
> works fine.  However, i have LVM running over the top of that and i can't
> figure out how to enlarge the Phisical Volume to encompass the newly
added
> capacity on the raid device.  Has anyone achieved this at all?
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree here? If so, how would you go about
> adding drives
> to a software RAID 5 device, and actually adding the new space to
> the filesystem
> inside the RAID device?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Adam