Unable to format certain volumes with lvm2 & reiserfs

I created some striped LVM2 volumes and I'm unable to format all but the first
one.

I did:
<<
pvcreate /dev/sda5
pvcreate /dev/sdb5
vgcreate lvm2 /dev/sda5 /dev/sdb5
lvcreate -i2 -I4 -L100G -nhome lvm2
lvcreate -i2 -I4 -L20G -nusr lvm2
lvcreate -i2 -I4 -L10G -nopt lvm2
lvcreate -i2 -I4 -L10G -nvar lvm2
lvcreate -i2 -I4 -L5G -ntmp lvm2

Now I can do:

mkreiserfs /dev/lvm2/home

but trying the same thing on any of the other groups gives me:

<<
# mkreiserfs -f /dev/lvm2/var
mkreiserfs 3.6.18 (2003 www.namesys.com)

[snip]

Guessing about desired format.. Kernel 2.6.9-rc1 is running.
reiserfs_create_journal: cannot create a journal of 8193 blocks with 18 offset
on 4096 blocks

However, ext3 works:

<<
# mke2fs -j /dev/lvm2/opt
mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
4096 inodes, 16384 blocks
819 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
2 block groups
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
2048 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        8193

Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (1024 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 27 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

Did I do something wrong with the initial setup?

--

Stephen

If your desktop gets out of control easily,
you probably have too much stuff on it that
doesn't need to be there.
         Donna Smallin, "Unclutter Your Home"