Fwd: <Q>: Help please with corrupted LVM/reiserfs filesystems

Dear LVM-list readers,

I've sent the following question to the reiserfs-list. Sadly there wasn't much
response other than the suggestion to try the same question on this list. I
hope you can give some good advice on how to tackle this problem. It would
surely help to recover some precious photos and videos. And yes: a backup
should've solved my problems but alas....
--
Regards,

Melis van den Brink
--- Begin Message ---
Dear reiserfs-list readers,

I'm following this list for a few years mostly in "lurker"-mode just to see
what happens with reiserfs. I've been using reiserfs (version 3) for many
years now without much problems. Up until now... :-(.
Last week I ran into diskspace problems and I decided to make a new volume
where I could place all my multimedia stuff (movies, audio and pictures). I
fdisk-ed a new disk and made few partitions. After that I used LVM 1.0.7
(pvcreate, vgcreate and lvcreate) to get me some logical volumes and used
mkreiserfs (version 3.6.10) to get a filesystem on it. All looked well and I
started moving my data to those new filesystems. Even this looked ok up until
I experienced a locked-up system. No way to shut it down in a nice way I was
forced to power-down and power-up and that's where the shit hitted the fan
:-(.
Recovery of my older filesystems worked like a charm but the newly made stuff
was nowhere in sight. In hindsight the only thing I could think of I did
wrong in making the new filesystems was I forgot to reboot after fdisk-ing
the disk.
It turned out that LVM couldn't find the newly created volume-group and the
logical volumes it contained. Subsequently neither could reiserfs find it's
(or rather my)  precious filesystems. Using vgcfgrestore I eventually could
recover the LVM-data so that at least LVM was consistent again. The
reiserfs-filesystems however I just can't seem to get them back. Using
reiserfsck in --check, --rebuild-sb, --fix-fixable or --rebuild-tree-mode
eventually turned out in the following message:
	No reiserfs metadata found.  If you are sure that you had the reiserfs
	on this partition,  then the start  of the partition  might be changed
	or all data were wiped out. The start of the partition may get changed
	by a partitioner  if you have used one.  Then you probably rebuilt the
	superblock as there was no one.  Zero the block at 64K offset from the
	start of the partition (a new super block you have just built) and try
	to move the start of the partition a few cylinders aside  and check if
	debugreiserfs /dev/xxx detects a reiserfs super block. If it does this
	is likely to be the right super block version.
	If this makes you nervous, try  www.namesys.com/support.html,  and for
	$25 the author of fsck,  or a colleague  if he is out,  will  step you
	through it all.

I tried some other suggestions in previous messages in this list, but always
came back to the above sequence of reiserfsck-commands.

Could anybody please help (suggestions, examples, other commands) with this
annoying problem ?
I will happily supply other information (machine, kernel, versions,
filesystem-dumps) if needed.
--
Regards,

Melis van den Brink