Re: LVM2/DM Mapping Tables Documentation

I believe the command "sync" at a shell prompt will flush the cache to disk. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

--Angelo

Dave B wrote:
This is still causing me headaches... Does anybody
have any insight on this?

--- bowmailtmp-lvm@yahoo.com wrote:

ok, i think i've got an idea what's going on here,
it
seems that the lvm cache may be the problem here. it
seems like in some cases if i wait a couple
*minutes*
then the data magically shows up in the proper
physical sectors of the disk. in some cases it is
faster, some quite slow. can someone confirm this
for
me and give me an idea of the mechanics involved
with
the cache? also, is there a command to force the
cache to be flushed out? i'll keep looking through
the man pages for this.

thanks,
dave

--- bowmailtmp-lvm@yahoo.com wrote:

I have been having a very difficult time

correlating

physical addresses to LVM2/DM addresses.

for instance, if i do:
dmsetup table /dev/mapper/avtest-vdisk2g

the result is:
0 4194304 linear 22:65 384

from what i currently understand, this means

logical

extent 0 (which is composed of 8192 512 byte

sectors

in the default config) of this LV should start at
physical sector 384 of device 22:65 (/dev/hdd1 on

my

machine)

after i've written to the logical device a couple
times, it appears this correlation doesn't hold

when

access the physical sectors on hdd1 using dd. however, if i use dd to access the sectors through
the
LV, all the data appears as it should. i was

under

the impression that the logical to physical

mappings

was quite straightforward and intuitive, but i

feel

that i am missing some key information. Can

someone

help me out of is there decent developer
documentation
somewhere that explains the mappings?

As a more complete example of my problem, if i do
the
following:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/avtest/vdisk2g count=1
then do:
dd if=/dev/avtest/vdisk2g of=tmpfile.out count=1
then tmpfile.out contains 512 bytes of zeros.

however, if I do:
dd if=/dev/hdd1 of=tmpfile.out skip=384 count=1
then tmpfile.out contains other data, not the

zero's

would expect from the output of the dmsetup table
command above.  I feel i'm missing something

fairly

basic here, but I haven't had any luck tracking

this

relationship down.  I suppose there is always the
sourc code :)

Thanks a lot.