lost all logical volumes

I was reinstalling the O/S when I created a new LVM2 volume group over the
existing LVM1 partition. It was named system but was recreated as system2.

vgscan -v gives:
   Wiping cache of LVM-capable devices
   Wiping internal cache
 Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
   Finding all volume groups
   Finding volume group "system"
 Found volume group "system" using metadata type lvm2
   Finding volume group "system2"
 Found volume group "system2" using metadata type lvm1

while vgchange -ay gives:
 8 logical volume(s) in volume group "system" now active
 0 logical volume(s) in volume group "system2" now active

No logical volumes were recreated and hence were not formatted.
Is there any way to recover these or do I have to resort to a disk editor.

Bob Goddard