Problem with EXT filesystem on LVM2

Dears,

I'm facing the following problem :
When I try to create an EXT3 filesystem on a LVM2 logical volume, the system end up frozen, in 100% wio state.
Accessing already existing EXT3 FS gives no problem.
If I try to resize a EXT3 FS via 'resize2fs', I got the same behaviour.
Creating a EXT3 FS on a raw partition works without problem.
Creating a Reiser3 or Reiser4 or XFS FS on a LVM2 logical volume also works.
fsck of an existing EXT3 partition on LVM2 also works

System is a HP DL380 with a external diska array also from HP. SCSI controller is a HP5xxx using hardware RAID (configured for the RAID5 ADG mode)
Distribution is Debian/Testing with 2.6.3 stock kernel. All packages are also from Debian/Testing (nothing external, nothing recompiled)
LVM version: 2.00.08 (2003-11-14)
Library version: 1.00.07-ioctl (2003-11-21)
Driver version: 4.0.0
mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004), Using EXT2FS Library version 1.35

I can provide strace of :
mkfs.ext3 (failed)
resize2fs (failed)
mkfs.resierfs (successfull)
mkfs.reiser4 (successfull)

Quick look at the starce seems to show that it blocks in a 'fsync' call.

Actually, I've succeded in creating a new EXT3 FS on LVM2 using following trick :
- dd an existing, smaller EXT3 FS to the LVM2 logical volume
- resize2fs this FS -> it stuck the system in frozen, 100% wio state
- reboot the system
- do a fsck on the problematic FS
This seems to work without bad effect but, hell, it's not very elegant ...

Any hint or information will be greatly apreciated.

Best regards.

Paul