Re: [linux-lvm] Disc crash, want to recover some data... PLEASEHELP!

-- Jose Luis Domingo Lopez <linux-lvm@24x7linux.com>

On Monday, 30 December 2002, at 03:44:10 +0100,
Olof Aldin wrote:

I have 3 hard drives in a few PVs in one VG, and one of the hard drives
(IBM 75 GXP, 46GB) crashed today... It can't be read at all or even
detected by my BIOS. When I connect it to the IDE bus no discs on that
interface are found at all...

Maybe off-topic here, but these IBM hard drives seem to be defective, and
have effective MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) that low, that perhaps
this drive won't be the last to crash in short time.

If I am not wrong, there are several places that document these
problems, as well as similar ones with some Fujitsu's hard drives. Just
in case, search the Internet and replace your disk before they crash.

Hope my off-topic helps.
That or use RAID underneath LVM for your storage. Using
hardware RAID5 with a reasonable chunk size gives nice
performance and allows you to generate LV's without having
to worry about which PV they are on.

                                           +1 800 762 1582