RE: [linux-lvm] Error - "device-mapper: request is larger than block size b_size"

Joe Thornber said:
> If you are using xfs please be aware that you will need to use the new
> journal log format to avoid misalignment problems (search this list
> for previous posts).

OK, I've read up on the linux-lvm & linux-xfs mailing lists about the
introduction of XFS' version 2 log format on 6/18/02.  I'm just a little
slow, and I'm uncertain about how I need to set up the FS to avoid the
misalignment problems Joe mentioned.  Feel free to flame me if I should've
posted to linux-xfs, instead.

Will the following work:
mkfs -t xfs /dev/vg0/lv0 -l internal,version=2,sunit=1
If not, does anyone have an example 'mkfs.xfs -l version=2,su=X' command
that would give me a filesystem with the appropriate alignment?

From man mkfs.xfs:
              The sunit suboption specifies the alignment  to  be
              used for log writes.  The suboption value has to be
              specified in 512-byte block units.  Use the su sub-
              option  to  specify  the  log  stripe  unit size in
              bytes.  Log writes will be aligned on  this  bound-
              ary,  and  rounded up to this boundary.  This gives
              major improvements in performance on some  configu-
              rations  such  as  software raid5 when the sunit is
              specified as the filesystem block size.  The equiv-
              alent byte value must be a multiple of the filesys-
              tem block size.  Version 2 logs  are  automatically
              selected if the log su suboption is specified.

With un-striped LVs, should I align my log, or stripe it?  And to what
multiple of 512-byte blocks?

Thanks a bunch,

Manuel Gomez